Welcome to Second Grade!
Mr. Peebles Mrs. Walsh Mrs. Vig
In second grade at Hayden Meadows, we work to provide our students with a child centered, inquiry based program while still ensuring our students have a firm grasp of our key concepts. We strive to balance academics and character education throughout our instruction.
In reading, our goals are to
- read fluently
- decode quickly and accurately
- build a strong vocabulary
- develop higher level comprehension strategies
Our objectives in math will align with the new Idaho Cores Standards and include
- addition and subtraction fluency
- place value
- problem solving
In social studies, we will
- learn about our role as citizens in our community
- describe how people depend on their environment to meet their basic needs
- research the important roles of historical and current figures in our nation
During our science units students will also
- explore weather patterns and dangerous storms
- investigate the life cycles, adaptations, and interdependence of plants and animals
- experiment with every day simple machines
We are excited for the opportunity to work with our incoming group of second graders and their families!