Welcome to the Special Education Department
NEW: Coeur d'Alene Public Schools commissioned a review of its support services for struggling learners. This educational services analysis was conducted in 2018 by Futures Education and presented to the district in November 2018. The full report is available here.
Welcome to the Coeur d'Alene Public Schools Special Education Department where all children are special and where we believe in the value and potential of every student. The Special Education Department seeks to improve the performance of students with disabilities by ensuring equal access to the general education curriculum and differentiated instruction within their Least Restrictive Environment (LRE). We provide and monitor the delivery of a comprehensive and seamless continuum of services for students with disabilities. We strive to provide an education where every student, regardless of disability, has the opportunity to grow and learn in a safe and secure environment in which individual needs are assessed and nurtured.
Children develop and learn at different rates. Some children have disabilities that interfere with their ability to make progress in their educational programs. Others learn more easily and require program enhancements or a more challenging curriculum. Coeur d'Alene Public Schools offers a wide variety of specially designed services to meet the unique needs of children determined to be eligible for special education services by meeting the eligibility criteria outlined in the Idaho Special Education Manual. There is not a "one size fits all" approach when it comes to special education services. Once a child has qualified for services, an Individualized Education Program (IEP) team determines appropriate goals, accommodations/modifications and LRE based on each student's individual needs.
All District schools are served by special education professionals and related service providers. Services will be provided at a student's home school to the extent that the student is progressing towards their goals. We are dedicated to providing the supplementary aids and services to support children to be educated alongside their neighborhood peers.
Coeur d'Alene Public School's Special Education Beliefs:
- Special services are an integral part of the total educational system.
- All students learn when provided:
- Guaranteed, viable curriculum employing formative and summative assessments.
- Tiered supports for both academic and behavior such as individualized intensive instruction based on identified student's specific needs.
- Rigorous and relevant instruction incorporating proven best practices.
- Highly qualified staff who are supported by targeted professional development
- Students should be active participants in their learning and provided engaging and differentiated instruction.
- All students, regardless of ability or disability, can make meaningful and authentic contributions to their classroom that foster a sense of belonging within the classroom community.
- Students must be taught the necessary skills to become life-long learners, resilient and future-ready citizens.
- Resources should be equitably allocated.
- The provision of a continuum of services should be respectful, age-appropriate, and conducive to learning within neighborhood schools.
- Students are successful when parents, educators, administrators, and community members invest in each student, value one another's contributions, and collaborate to provide a quality education.