Coeur d'Alene Public Schools is looking for a new superintendent to join us before the 2021-22 school year begins. Our current superintendent, Dr. Steven Cook, has accepted the position of superintendent of the Bend-La Pine School District in Oregon and will leave at the end of the current school year. Our Board of Trustees is working now with executive search firm Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates to find the next superintendent for Coeur d'Alene Public Schools.
The Board of Trustees has established the following timeline for its superintendent search. The position will remain open until filled.
Feb. 16-22 Focus groups with staff, students, and community stakeholders
Feb. 12-25 Community survey
March 8 Review of applications begins
March 15 Leadership Profile Report presented to Board
March 22-26 Top applicants screened by consultants
Early April Semifinalist interviews
Mid-April Finalist interviews, Board selection
July 1 Superintendent assumes responsibilities
The candidate must have background, skills and abilities essential for excellence in educational leadership. The board recognizes that selecting a superintendent is one of the most important decisions it will make.
The board has identified the following desired characteristics for candidates:
• Is honest and open, is confident and possesses integrity, is genuine and understands the importance of doing what’s right, not what’s expected.
• Is a great communicator who listens well, has a history of working well with boards and staff, and is open to change within the district and the community.
• Is able to demonstrate prior academic success for all students and has the ability to raise the bar to improve student academic achievement.
• Is a visionary with the ability to inspire others, is passionate and able to think critically.
• Is a strong leader who is successful in leading at the highest level, is knowledgeable and skilled in financial management with experience in capital construction projects.
At the start of the search process, the Board of Trustees sought public input to help determine the preferred qualities in candidates for the position.
Superintendent Search Survey
Through a public survey in February, we gathered your perceptions of the school district and the importance of various characteristics found in effective superintendents. The information is being used to determine the desired characteristics of the next superintendent. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Public Focus Groups
The search firm hosted several focus groups with District stakeholders to gather input on the desired characteristics of the next superintendent. These stakeholders included District administrators and staff, representatives of the Student Advisory Group, parent and District committees, and civic/business leaders. District residents were invited to participate in a Public Focus Group with the search consultants on February 22.