•  .

      Click here to download and print this information as a brochure

    Youth lacking fixed, regular or adequate housing due to economic conditions qualify for support to overcome educational barriers by the U.S. Department of Education.


    • Living doubled up with grandparents, family or friends due to economic conditions
    • Staying in a motel/hotel because other housing is unattainable
    • Being a runaway or unaccompanied youth
    • Living in a home for pregnant or unwed mothers without another place in which to live
    • Residing in a domestic violence shelter
    • Living in transitional housing
    • Sleeping in public places or abandoned buildings
    • Living in a car, trailer or campground
    • Staying in unfit housing

    Students who are living in emergency, temporary and/or transitional housing situations have the right to the same public education (including preschool) that other children are provided. State agencies are required to make it easier for students living in unstable housing situations to enroll in and benefit from school. A student cannot be denied enrollment in school simply because he/she is living in emergency, temporary and/or transitional housing situations. Students who are precariously housed will be given the same educational materials and services that other students receive. *Reauthorized  December 10, 2015

    Students in unstable housing:

    • May attend the school where they are currently living or the school of enrollment when they became displaced. (Based on the best interest of the student.)
    • May enroll without school, medical or other usual registration paperwork.
    • May have a right to school transportation.
    • May receive textbooks, supplies or services needed to succeed in school.
    • Must receive a statement explaining any denial of service or enrollment
    • Qualify automatically for Free & Reduced School Meals and Title I Services if needed and available.
    • May receive transportation and services while disputes are settled.

    School Districts must:

    • Reserve a portion of Title I funds to serve students who are precariously housed.
    • Review and revise policies that impede students who reside in unstable housing.
    • Post rights of students who are precariously housed in schools and places frequented by families that qualify.
    • Identify a McKinney-Vento Liaison to assist students and staff.




    James Curb, Homeless Liaison  •  1400 N. Northwood Center Ct., Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814  •  (208) 664-8241 x10061

    The CDA School District complies with all applicable laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (40 or older), genetic information, veteran status or disability in any educational programs or activities receiving federal financial assistance or in employment practices. The District provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. Inquiries regarding compliance with this nondiscrimination policy may be directed to the Section 504 Program Coordinator or Director of Human Resources at the District Administrative Center, 1400 N. Northwood Center Ct., CDA, ID 83814, (208)664-8241