Using Google Takeout to Transfer or Backup Google Account Data
- Graduating students have until August 31, the year they graduate, to access their account and use this tool to copy their data for future use.
- Staff members have 10 days from the date of their final paycheck to access their account and use this tool to copy data for future use.
- This tool is meant to create a backup or transfer data not as permanent storage. The downloadable file will only be available for 5 days after it is created.
To begin, go to www.myaccount.google.com, find the Account Tools section, and Click on Download Data
go to www.google.com/takeout and follow the directions below
- Select the data options you wish to download and/or backup and click Next. For some of the products, you can customize the format(s) into which your data will be archived.
- Choose the file format you wish to download the archive as - this defaults to a zip file. Choose “Send Download link via email” as the delivery option and click on “Create Archive”
- You will receive an email and the archive will be available for 5 days once it is created. *This service is meant for backups or transfers and not for storage, so it is only held temporarily.
- Once your archive is created, you can download the zip file to your computer at home, a thumb drive, or to another google account (***Be Aware: This folder will count against your Google Drive storage limits if you choose to save to your personal Google account)