MAINTENANCE & OPERATIONS LEVY
Reliance on the Levy has changed. What was once supplemental, is now essential funding.
50% MAJORITY VOTER APPROVAL REQUIRED TO PASS
M&O Levy dollars fund the day-to-day operations of educational programs & services, bridging the gap between funding provided by the state & the cost of meeting the educational opportunities our local community desires.
The Levy is ESSENTIAL to fund critical programs & education needs beyond the basic funding from the state. By state law, M&O levies expire every two years thus we must ask our community for a renewal to maintain a high level of service & programming for our students.
CURRENT LEVY DOLLARS SUPPORT:
- Ongoing reduction in class size initiative
- New curriculum materials/textbooks for students — a multi-year plan to align with the state’s recommended text replacement cycle
- School Resource Officers (SROs) for safety
- Student transportation beyond state minimum
- Athletics, music, performing arts & extra-curricular activities
- Para professionals & staff who support student learning
- Advanced academic support for high achievers (ALP) & remediation for struggling students
- Maintenance, groundskeeping & repair of school buildings & facilities
- Technology devices & tools to enhance student learning
ADDITIONAL LEVY DOLLARS WILL SUPPORT:
- Bus purchases with 3-point harness safety belts
- English Language Arts curriculum adoption
- Resources to support class size reduction targets
These important projects address safety, equity of opportunity, future growth & current overcrowding.
66.67% SUPER MAJORITY VOTER APPROVAL REQUIRED TO PASS
Our School Board is also asking voters to approve a $35.5M Construction Bond. Bonds finance building improvements, remodels & new construction, as the state provides no funding for this purpose & does not allow for the collection of development impact fees as a funding source.
The Bond will provide much-needed facility improvements & repair for our older schools, & includes expansion & new construction to offset & reduce class sizes. View the complete Phase 1 Projects
list. Projects include:
- A new elementary school, to include the acquisition of land and construction in the NW section of the district
- Coeur d’Alene High School: Seven new classrooms replacing all portables; Additions to the gym, weight room, south building entrance & an update to track surface
- Lake City High School: Eight new classrooms replacing all portables; Additions include practice gym, weight room wrestling room, multi-purpose room; Updates to the track, parking lot & bus loop
- Lakes Magnet Middle School: Additions to the gym, multi-purpose room, cafeteria, CTE classrooms, band/music room & updates to hallways & lockers; Renovation of main office/security configuration; Update to parking lot, play field, storage building
- Dalton Elementary: Additions include art, music & multi-media rooms; Upgrade to parking lot
- Building systems upgrades to four schools listed above including flooring, plumbing, HVAC, security, technology
- Fernan STEM Academy parking lot safety improvement
- Hayden Meadows Elementary upgrade to gym floor
PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE ON MARCH 14TH